FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 25, 2020
Media Contact: Emily Rothrock Tate
Calm Waters Program and Operational Changes in the Midst of Covid-19s
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – During this time of great uncertainty, Calm Waters remains constant in our commitment to serve Oklahoma families in grief. On Tuesday, March 24, Oklahoma Governor Stitt requested all non-essential organizations to shelter in place for the next 21 days. Calm Waters is central Oklahoma’s only nonprofit grief support center providing FREE mental health services, and while we firmly believe our mission is essential to the thousands of children and families we serve, we are also committed to the safety of our clients, volunteers and staff. Therefore, Calm Waters has enacted the following changes to operations and programs:
- The Calm Waters office is closed to the public from March 26 to April 16. The staff will shelter in place at their homes and will be available by office phone and email from 8:30 to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. For general questions, please email email@example.com
- Friday, April 3, 10 – 11 a.m., our in-house therapists will host a FREE online workshop, “Grief and Loss During COVID-19.” To register and receive the Zoom call in details, visit https://www.calmwaters.org/grief-workshop/
- Beginning April 6, we are introducing NEW private grief and divorce Facebook groups for our families to receive resources, activities and community support during their loss. These groups will be administered by our in-house program staff and are for current registered support group participants. For more information, email Emily@calmwaters.org
- Beginning April 6, our grief and divorce support groups will meet virtually via Zoom conference calls with breakout rooms for small group discussions. Grief Support groups will meet every other Monday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. and Divorce support groups will meet every other Thursday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. For more information, email Jordan@calmwaters.org
- Calm Waters research-based grief curriculum will continue to be utilized in on Facebook and in Zoom calls, providing teens and adults the community support they need to process their loss, including the grief they may be experiencing due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- For those interested in joining a support group, register here for grief: https://www.calmwaters.org/grief-group-registration-form/ and here for divorce https://www.calmwaters.org/calm-waters-divorce-support-group-registration-form/
- Our Program staff are currently in the process of completing their telehealth training so we can continue providing our grief counseling services. We anticipate being able to offer virtual therapy by April 6. For more information, email Heather@calmwaters.org
- All March and April Parenting Through Divorce seminars are canceled and all registered attendees have been invited to select a new seminar date schedule in May. Each May seminar has 24 seats instead of the usual 36 seats, to allow for physical distancing during the in-person class setting. For more details, visit https://give.calmwaters.org/event/calm-waters-parenting-through-divorce-seminar/e264057 and for more information, email Heather@calmwaters.org
We will continue to monitor and respond to our community needs accordingly and look forward to virtually connecting with the children and families we serve during this time of physical distancing recommended by our local and national authorities.
About Calm Waters Center for Children and Families
Calm Waters Center for Children and Families provides FREE grief support services for children and families on their grief journey caused by death, divorce or other significant loss. Since beginning in 1992, Calm Waters has served more than 40,000 individuals across the Greater OKC Metro Area through their Center and School Support Groups. For more information about Calm Waters and their services, visit Calmwaters.org or call 405-841-4800. Calm Waters is a proud United Way of Central Oklahoma Partner Agency.