About Camp Courage
Camp Courage is Calm Waters’ 3-day art camp each summer for children who have experienced a recent loss through death, divorce, incarceration, deportation, deployment, and/or foster/adoptive care issues. Thanks to the generosity of sponsors, including our premiere sponsor Edmond Women’s Club and Midtown Rotary, Calm Waters was able to provide supplies to 50 children during this summer’s Camp Courage, and scholarships to dozens of campers who otherwise might not have been able to participate .
Camp Courage provides a safe and healing environment that allows children to express their feelings of loss through art. Camp activities include artist-led drawing, painting, mixed media, dance, yoga, gardening, and much more and the last day of camp will end with a gallery art show for their families and peers.
If you would like to be involved in supporting or planning the 2023 Camp Courage, please contact Calm Waters Program Director Hannah Showalter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Teens between 15 to 18 years old are invited to volunteer as a Junior Camp counselors during the 3-day camp. Apply here!
Child must be 6-18 years old
Child has experienced a significant loss
Volunteer at Camp Courage!
What to expect:
- Volunteers will come on three mornings from 8:15-12:00.
- We would like to have the same group leaders every day so the campers can get to know their leader
- Group leaders will guide their group to the art activities following a schedule
- Group leaders will help the children with the activity and encourage the group members to get to know each other following the camp curriculum.
- Group Leaders will have a maximum of 8 campers in their group.
- Each group will have two group leaders and a teen counselor to assist the campers
- Each camper will have a curriculum that guides them in learning about the value of expressing grief through art. Parents will receive an email following camp with information about the art form their children learned and how to encourage the expressions they learned at home
- The final day we will host an art show from camp from 11:30-12:30 – all artists are welcome to stop in to see the campers present their art!
For questions or to sign up as a volunteer, email Hannah Showalter, LMSW, at email@example.com.
Thank you to our 2022 sponsors!
Date & Time
Summer 2023 | TBD
Calm Waters Center for Children and Families
501 N. Walker, Suite 140
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Registration will open closer to Camp Courage, in Spring 2023
Sponsor Camp Courage
Multiple sponsorship levels available! Sponsor the entire event, different art activities or an individual child.
Sponsor Camp Courage